If music is your passion, it is vital to do something about its promotion, because making music is nothing if you do not have fans that will listen to you.
Of course, everyone would like to spend more time performing and writing, but since this is the era of DIY promotion, you should think your music as a business and be not only an artist but also a marketer that will know how to increase the awareness of his music.
We recommend you to check this link if you wish to learn more on how to optimize SoundCloud tracks so that you can increase their rankings and gain more followers and fans as a result.
Create a Comprehensive Marketing Strategy
The common practice in business is to identify your goals; target market as well as developing products or service that will help you reach the goal you want in the first place. If you are a musician, this particular strategy will help you gain more followers instead of waiting for them to find you.
For a successful marketing plan, you should understand and determine who are your fans as well as their habits and personalities. Check whether they usually go to festivals or to clubs to listen to the music.
Check whether they tend to enjoy listening to music in a casual environment or on the concerts. This information is vital for you to understand them so that you can promote your music by using content that will appeal to them.
If you are a musician, the idea is to learn how your fans are consuming music and what your potential fans would like to hear from you.
The vital things are to ask those questions and to answer them before you create a strategy because that way you will know to target your audience and promote your music with ease.
There are many ways to meet your potential fans, and you should learn how to do it:
- You can attend the concerts and shows by local artists that are playing similar music as your own and check the profiles of the followers and people who attend these shows.
- In case that you have a small fan base, you should research them to learn more about them and conduct a survey to them so that you can determine more about them and see how they find you in the first place.
- Check out the forums where people who enjoy listening to your music are hanging. That way, you should enter the conversation and start the promotion.
- Research YouTube videos of bands and musicians that are playing in your genre analyze them and check what people are talking about in the comments. You should also look at groups that are similar to you and check whether they want to play in your area in the next period. If that is the case, we recommend you to go to mingle with their fans.
- Create a marketing persona, which is a template that will sum up the profile and understandings of your average listening. You should always try to be as detailed as possible so that you can search and find the fans you wish to be your followers.
Learn More about Your Target Market
When you finish the research, the next step is crucial, because you should learn whether your target market is offline or online. As soon as you learn more about your potential listeners, their demographics and habits, you will be able to figure out how to promote your music.
The most common areas where you will be able to find online fans are:
When it comes to looking online fans, the idea is to choose appropriate platforms that will help your fans to see your profile and to listen to your music free of charge. You should learn where your fans live, what activities they perform, and how they interact with the internet.
The idea is to conduct research and dig around to find relevant data, because more information you have, the better targets you will make, and you will reduce the empty promotion to people that do not like the type of music you are playing.
Music industry is not only about the creativity and art, and if you wish to learn more about it, you should check this website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_industry for more information.
At the same time, you should check whether your fans are following tastemakers, but have in mind that in today’s world, more and more bloggers are taking this particular role instead of DJs who were original tastemakers of popular music.
Therefore, you should check around for online DJs, bloggers and playing curators, which will help you create a database that will help you promote your music further for less investment than before.
The idea is to think everything through before you start with the promotion because that way you will help yourself and earn more engaging and recurring fans than you had in the past.